Coming to Hong Kong


If you have a close connection with Hong Kong by birth or residence, you may not require a visa to work in Hong Kong. Visitors are not allowed by law to take up employment, whether paid or unpaid, and a visitor visa is not a legally valid document for employment.


Employment visa 

Any person other than those who have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong must obtain an employment visa in order to work in Hong Kong. The visa application form will be attached to the University's letter of appointment when the offer is made. The University will act as the sponsor of the application.


Dependent Visas

Spouse and/or dependent children (unmarried and aged below 18) of the appointee will be required to apply for the dependent visa(s) if they will accompany the appointee to reside in Hong Kong. Holders of a dependent visa are eligible to work in Hong Kong.

Please note that the Hong Kong Immigration Department requires travel documents to have a minimum validity period of 12 months from the date of commencement of duty in Hong Kong. Please ensure that you have a valid travel document before submitting the application.

For details about visa applications, please visit the website of the Immigration Department of the HKSAR Government:

Hong Kong Identity Card

New arrivals aged 18 or over and have been permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days must register for an identity card within 30 days of arrival.

Details can be found at:

Relocation Arrangements

Where applicable, a first appointment passage and baggage allowance will be provided to assist the appointee and their family members from overseas for relocation to Hong Kong. Details of the allowance will be specified in the appointment package.