Living in Hong Kong

Living on HKUST campus

Eligible staff members and their families may be provided with on-campus accommodation in accordance with their terms of appointment. The University currently has around 450 Senior Staff Quarters on campus most with stunning sea views. Staff members will be required to pay a rent at a rate determined by the University, which is currently 7.5% / 10% of basic monthly salary depending on the category of the allocated accommodation.

Housing in Hong Kong

Eligible appointees may opt for a non-accountable cash allowance. With the allowance, staff members could rent private accommodation off-campus.

Property prices in Hong Kong are high. If you are planning to rent a domestic private property in Hong Kong, you may do it through licensed estate agents in Hong Kong. It is important to understand your rights and responsibilities and clarify all terms and doubts before entering into an estate agency agreement as well as a tenancy agreement. Useful information about renting domestic private property can be found at:

Alternatively, serviced apartments in Hong Kong may be another possible option. Serviced apartments are generally furnished suites with quality amenities and housekeeping services.

Children Education

HKSAR Government provides 12 years of free education in public schools. The local education system in Hong Kong basically comprises 6 years of primary education, 3 years of junior secondary education and 3 years of senior secondary education. The senior secondary education leads to the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), then for admission to tertiary institutions.

There are public sector schools (government schools and schools aided by the Government) and Direct Subsidy Scheme (DSS) schools (private schools) in Hong Kong.

Alternatively, there are a number of international schools offering full-time non-local curricular and the qualifications attained can also be assessed for entering tertiary education.

Kindergartens in Hong Kong are run by either non-profit-making organizations or private organizations. Students are usually admitted at the ages from 3 to 6.

The University runs the Busy Bees Kindergarten on campus. Officially opened in November 1998, the kindergarten was founded by HKUST parents who desired a high-quality, bilingual pre-school for their children on campus. It provides morning classes (for children aged 3 years 6 months to 5 years) and afternoon classes (for children aged 2 years 8 months to 3 years 6 months).

For more information about education in Hong Kong, please refer to the website of the Education Bureau at:


Hong Kong follows a simple tax structure. Income earned in Hong Kong is subject to a yearly salaries tax at progressive rates up to the current maximum flat rate of 15%. The tax year runs from 1 April to 31 March. Salary, gratuity and allowances earned are subject to taxation. For details about taxation in Hong Kong, please refer to the website at:

Domestic Helpers

Many families in Hong Kong hire domestic helpers to help out with the household chores, from cooking, cleaning to taking care of family members.

Local domestic helpers normally work on an hourly basis. Salary may be paid at an hourly rate or a monthly rate (if they are engaged with a fixed number of working hours every day/week/month).

Hiring of foreign domestic helpers is common especially for families with young children. Foreign domestic helpers usually live in their employers’ residence and perform various kinds of household duties. There are recruitment agencies of foreign domestic helpers in Hong Kong which would help in the hiring of domestic helpers. For more information in this respect, please visit the following website at: